This Page

has been moved to new address

crazy hector

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
re:defined: crazy hector

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

crazy hector

i just have to throw this out there for all my girls who watch the bachelor.

if you were some random guy, like jason, with a set of beliefs, whatever they may be, and you sit down with some crazy like hector, naomi's dad, you're gonna want to run and hide.

straight up: people like hector are the reason no one wants ANYTHING to do with Jesus.

because he dives straight into a rant about religion and why jason needs it and i just want to throw up my hands. or throttle him. and smack his face for acting like a nut. i feel like i owe the world an apology on behalf of crazy hector.

why can't people who love Jesus just love people?! why can't they talk about their beliefs openly without indoctrinating people? why do people like hector have to be weird and creepy and judgemental.

don't these people know anything about what Jesus taught?

ugh. it's such a good reminder that we really need to just show people what things God has shown us, share our experiences and blessings, help each other, love each other, and just be different. be the change we want to see, like Gandhi said.

be like Jesus.
don't be a crazy.

maybe hector forgot this verse...
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:14

(side note: see ya later, naomi. i couldn't be more excited! )

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessi said...

oh, hector. I'm glad someone addressed this.
It's one thing to love Jesus and be a little weird because of it - but Hector was just weird in general.

It broke my heart a little when at the end Jason said, "today I learned that Hector loves Jesus" with a crooked smile. That could have gone so differently.

and don't get me started on Naomi.... "I mean - if I marry a man and we don't believe the same things about God, I don't think that matters... as long as we like the same things!"

woosh.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009  
Blogger michelle said...

i swear, naomi's entire dialogue on the swing made me cringe. i could barely listen to her talk. it was so lame. SO lame.

and i agree, when jason was talking about hector...i just felt bad. and a little sad. maybe some day he'll run across someone who loves Jesus and isn't so weird and obvious. and crazy.

oh naomi...all i can do is shake my head in shame for you.

Thursday, February 12, 2009  
Blogger jasonbradley said...

Hey guys! You don't know me, but I am a friend of Nick and Jessi's in Seattle. Kel and I watch the bachelor (ok, I admit it) and I had a totally different reaction as a pastor and Daddy to two girls. My thought was, right on. Some dude comes to my door who I have never met and wants to propose to my daughter in a couple of weeks, I have one thing to say: "buddy, you got to know what we are about. We are about Jesus. What about you." I am not about being a missionary at this point. I am not about not hurting Jason's feelings. I am about one thing and that is about protecting my daughter.

Now, in this case, I totally agree that the guy had a huge audience and I wish he had been a little less weird about it, and a little more "culturally relevant".

But I don't fault him at all for putting the goods on the table. The funny thing is that it seemed rushed and awkward, and seemed like he was trying to shove too much Jesus into too small a space. The irony is though, because of the ridiculousness of the show and its format, that was all the time he got!

The other sad thing was that his daughter obviously has not submitted to his authority and asked him to protect and watch over this area of her life (she didn't seem to care about the faith aspect), so it was even more awkward, but I just kept thinking, as both Jason and the show tried to put him in a "psycho" box:

20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home